Careers in Student Affairs Month
What is Careers in Student Affairs?
Careers in Student Affairs (CSAM) is a month-long initiative each October. CSAM is dedicated to the celebration of a career in Student Affairs, education and awareness in the profession, and engagement with professional associations and peers in the field.
Goals of Careers in Student Affairs Month:
- Celebrate the field of student affairs through opportunities to reflect on individual journeys and experiences.
- Provide professional development for student affairs administrators in higher education.
- Encourage and promote the profession in order to grow the field of student affairs.
- Cultivate spaces for dialogue related to pertinent topics within student affairs.
Why Choose a Career in Student Affairs?
- Making a Difference - Working in student affairs allows you to educate, advise, and support students during a critical time in their lives.
- Choice and Flexibility - Student affairs professionals work in a variety of different positions on campus; they work in student engagement, residential life, campus recreation, counseling centers, and health services, just to name a few. Professionals also work at a variety of institutions – 4-year public universities (like Tech), community colleges, private universities, and institutions of all sizes.
- Exciting Work Environment - The student affairs field is fast-paced and continually evolving. Professionals perform a variety of tasks on a day-to-day basis, including advising groups, leading meetings, coordinating events, overseeing budgets, and working with a range of students, staff, and faculty. One day is never the same as the next!
- Amazing Benefits - Colleges and universities often offer attractive and unique packages.
- A Career You Love - Since the student affairs field is continuously changing and advancing, along with the students you serve. That's what makes a career in Student Affairs is both fulfilling and fun!
Interested in a Career in a Specific Student Affairs Department?
Check out the videos below for an overview about each department within the Division of Student Affairs. Each video will have an interview with a staff member from that specific department and they will talk about their experience in Student Affairs and higher education as a whole.