Angelo & Jennette Volpe Library
TLC Testing - Faculty Information
Faculty may use TLC Testing for makeup exams or all class exams.
- It is never mandatory for faculty to use the TLC for their class tests
- The testing area cannot be reserved for a class
- Faculty specify the days exams are available but cannot designate specific times
- Students can schedule any time the TLC is open on the day(s) an exam is available
You must submit exam information in RegisterBlast at least 72 hours prior to the testing date to allow time for the TLC to process the exam and to allow students 24+ hours to schedule. It may take longer than 72 hours to process an exam depending on faculty response time if the TLC has logistics questions. You may always submit exams more than 72 hours before the testing window begins; some faculty submit all class exams before the semester starts.
If a student did not take the exam during the original testing window and still needs to test in the TLC, the testing window must be extended. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the extension date and the student’s name, and we will extend the testing window.
RegisterBlast Links & Info:
- Faculty first-time enrollment (note: it may take 24-48 hours to process first-time enrollments, and faculty cannot submit exams until this process is complete.)
- Enrolled professor login
- How to Submit Exam Instructions to RegisterBlast
- To see who has completed an exam, click on “Students” at the top of the page once you have logged in to RegisterBlast.
The TLC only uses Respondus LockDown Browser if you specifically request it in your exam instructions submitted through RegisterBlast. You also must require LockDown Browser within the iLearn exam settings. Do not require Respondus Monitor, which is the webcam component, for students testing in the TLC. Our testing stations do not have webcams, so students cannot take the exam in the TLC if you require Respondus Monitor.
If your students will take an iLearn exam in the TLC, create an exam password in iLearn; do not create multiple passwords for different days or different students. You must submit the password when you submit the exam information in RegisterBlast. The TLC enters passwords for students on exam day, and students do not see the password being entered. You can view RegisterBlast to verify which students have scheduled and taken exams in the TLC.
You must set the iLearn exam as available all day (beginning at 7 a.m.) for every day students are allowed to take it in the TLC. Do not restrict the exam availability in iLearn to a specific time because the TLC does not facilitate testing at specific times. If you have students with extended time accommodations, be sure to extend the time in iLearn as appropriate.
If students cannot access or finish iLearn exams because you changed the password after submitting it in RegisterBlast, you restricted access in iLearn including specific times, you required Respondus Monitor webcam in iLearn, or you did not properly extend the iLearn time for accommodations:
- The TLC emails you an irregularity report by the end of the day; duration between the incident and the emailed report depends on TLC testing traffic that day.
- The TLC tells the student to contact their faculty about the issue, which may inform the faculty before they receive the irregularity report.
- If you still want the student to test in the TLC, please fix the issue as soon as possible. The student will need to reschedule 24+ hours in advance. Email email@example.com if that means the testing window in RegisterBlast needs to be extended. If you want the student to test sooner, you will need to find another testing venue.
Note: It is extremely disruptive to the TLC's procedures when students cannot properly access their iLearn exam. Therefore, if your iLearn restrictions repeatedly prevent your students from accessing their iLearn exams, you will no longer be able to use the TLC for iLearn testing.
If you do not want to upload a copy of your paper exam in RegisterBlast, the physical copy must be delivered to the TLC the same day the information was submitted in RegisterBlast. The TLC must receive the exam before students can schedule to take it.
Accommodations when your whole class is testing in the TLC:
If the entire class is testing in the TLC, you may not need to take additional action. RegisterBlast connects to the AEC's system so students will automatically get the accommodations we can provide (see Accommodated Testing) when they schedule their exam. If your students need an accommodation that isn't listed, you must work with the AEC directly for an alternate testing location.
Accommodations when your whole class is not testing in the TLC:
If your entire class is not testing in the TLC, and you have students who need to take an exam with accommodations, you have three options.
- Your students could test in the TLC if their accommodation is one we can provide (see Accommodated Testing,) and you are able to follow our regular procedures. This includes submitting the exam in RegisterBlast at least 72 hours prior to the exam, picking the day(s) the students can take the exam but not the time, etc.
- If you are able, you could provide the accommodations yourself or through your departmental office.
- You could work with the AEC for testing accommodations.
TN eCampus faculty will submit exams through TN eCampus.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 931-372-6126 with questions.