Angelo & Jennette Volpe Library
Records Management - Digitizing Records
A Record is a Record whether it is electronic or physical. When the schedule says to keep a copy, it is up to the Custodian to decide whether to keep it electronically or physically. Here are some digitizing tips:
- If the Records are eventually transferred to Archives, please contact Archives at x3537 for digitizing guidelines.
- Check with your department’s IT representative for help setting up the scanning equipment and procedures to ensure Records are encrypted and secure throughout the digitization process as appropriate.
- It is best to keep original computer files whenever possible; then there is no need to digitize a physical copy.
- Use a high-quality scanner to digitize items in color.
- Save items as PDFs for easy readability, and use file names that describe the item and include the Record date.
- Store electronic Records appropriately as per Policy 856, Data Security and Handling.
- Once the Record has been digitized, you can destroy the paper copy because it is an extra copy.
- Follow the destruction instructions for your electronic records when the retention period has ended.