Bachelor of Fine Arts Concentrations
- Art Education
- Design (Digital Media)
- General Fine Arts: Dual-Focus
Bachelor of Science Concentrations» View List of Minors
A unique facet of the School of Art, Craft & Design is the Appalachian Center for Craft, a satellite campus located in Smithville, Tennessee, dedicated to promoting excellence in American craft by teaching both tradition and innovation in professional studio craft, and fostering access to the highest quality craft education, craft artists, craft works and events in a community arts context.
The College of Fine Arts and the diverse departments within the college prepare candidates to be competent, caring professionals in a diverse, technological society. Students are engaged in many curricular and field-based activities requiring constant access and integration of technology.
The mission of the School of Art, Craft & Design is to prepare students for careers in visual art studios and art education. Students develop creative potential, learn skills and design processes, acquire cultural knowledge and develop critical faculties through visual art experiences.
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will develop knowledge of great works of art and the stylistic characteristics of the historical periods from which they come.
- Students will develop knowledge of multicultural artistic traditions.
- Students will develop the common body of knowledge and skills of art, and will exhibit technical competence, a broad knowledge of art history, an understanding of style and its implications, critical thinking, an insight into the role of art in the life of humankind, and the ability to identify and solve problems.
- Students will have understanding of the conceptual framework which inspires their artwork and be able to cogently describe and defend it; measured qualitatively in project critiques.
- Students will demonstrate professional expertise through the presentation of a culminating exhibition or portfolio.
- Students will compete effectively for careers in art education, design or studio arts, and will achieve appropriate professional certification.